The Old Forge

Click here for availability

Click here for booking Inquiry 

Ruan Lanihorne

About The Old Forge

We are currently investigating The Old Forge and will update this page shortly.

Local records suggest that The Old Forge was built in about 1856. In 1861 James Davey (36) worked at "Ruan Village Smiths Shop" supporting his wife Maria (32) and their young sons William (9), Charles (7), John (6) and James (3). Clearly they prospered because by 1881 the family was farming 90 acres of land in Ruan, had two more sons one of whom was a 'scholar' and employed a domestic servant called Rosena from nearby Porthkea.

In the meantime James Dowrick (27) worked as the village blacksmith supporting his wife Anne (28) and their children Evelyn (2) and Joseph (4 months).

The Old Forge remained a working forge for over a century. Local information suggests it became redundant in the early 1960s, changed hands in 1994 and thereafter slowly fell into disuse. It was sold again in 2002, renovated in 2003 and we purchased it in late 2006. We intend to maintain it just as it is. Any changes will be gradual and in keeping with this beautiful old place.

In 2003 The Old Forge was carefully restored by local craftsmen and converted to the holiday accommodation now enjoyed by so many people.